Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 at 5:30 pm
Culinary Highlights: 2009 Edition
Scanning my posts from the past year, I was reminded again of how fortunate I am to be a part of a great culinary community in Edmonton and to have experienced (and eaten!) what I did in 2009.
- Attending the Food: Today, Tomorrow, Together food security conference in January.
Food: Today, Tomorrow, Together organizers
- Having the privilege of visiting and touring two local farms: Nature’s Green Acres and Greens, Eggs and Ham.
Pigs at Nature’s Green Acres
The greenhouse at Greens, Eggs and Ham
- Alongside many other Edmontonians, harvesting free potatoes at the Great Potato Giveaway.
Me and Mack with our potato bounty
- Attending my first ever Indulgence, and finding out that the evening really does live up to its name.
My favourite dish of the night – a Carmen Creek Ranch slider, prepared by Botanica
- Designing the Slow Food Edmonton Wild Boar and Beer Scavenger Hunt, and seeing the photos of the contest winner.
- Ringing in the City Centre Market, my hands down favourite farmers’ market in Edmonton.
With the bell that I got to keep
- Doing a lot of cooking (at least for me), including one of my favourite dish discoveries, cassoulet.
Mark Bittman’s version of cassoulet with lots of vegetables
- Getting the opportunity to meet and interview Chef Rob Feenie, and attend the swanky VIP opening of Cactus Club Cafe.
With Chef Rob Feenie (Mack made me take the photo)
- Eating our way through DC, including the famed Ben’s Chili Bowl and my favourite stop of the trip, Proof.
Mack occupies POTUS’s seat at Ben’s Chili Bowl
Melt-in-your-mouth gnocci at Proof
- Publishing my first-ever Vue Weekly cover story, about dining in the economic downturn.
Jessie Radies of The Blue Pear, one of the three people I interviewed for the story
- Participating in a cooking Tweetup, and learning how to make latkes.
- Attending two Foodie Meetups, and getting to meet some of the wonderful local food bloggers in person.
Foodie Meetup #1 at Blue Plate Diner
Foodie Meetup #2 potluck at Dawson Park
- Continuing to find diners to love – and still hoping for more of them in Edmonton.
Stuffed French toast from Dairy Lane in Calgary
Here’s to more eating in 2010!