Monday, December 3rd, 2012 at 5:45 pm
Food Notes for December 3, 2012
- The biggest food news this week was undoubtedly the announcement that The Blue Pear is closing on December 23, 2012 after 12 years of operation. In an interview with the Journal, co-owner Jessie Radies said, “I think restaurants have a lifespan, and we’ve hit the end of Blue Pear.” On the bright side, it will be replaced by RGE RD, another locally-inspired restaurant by former Madison’s Grill Executive Chef Blair Lebsack in mid-2013.
- Also in the news – Smokehouse BBQ, which just launched their Edmonton location in October, was badly damaged by a fire on Wednesday. This coincidentally on the heels of a very positive review in the Journal. To get your Smokehouse fill, you can still head out to their Leduc location!
- Nomad teased the twittersphere with the following tweet: “we’ve teamed up w/
@theVolsteadAct and have some big news about our brick and mortar space TBA shortly! we are so excited!!”. Great to hear another food truck is heading indoors – looking forward to finding out more.
- I know your December calendar is probably chock full, but if you have time, stop by NextGen’s outdoor patio party at Public House on December 8, 2012. Don’t you think we could use more outdoor opportunities in the winter to sit back and soak up our city? (and yes, there will be heaters).
- Earls Tin Palace reopens to the public on December 9, 2012 after a $5 million dollar renovation.
- Liane wrote about T.H.I.S. Place’s new hot chocolate pops – real chocolate on a stick meant to dissolved into milk or water for hot chocolate. I’ve been meaning to try them myself, and they look like they would make great gifts!
- Maki took some beautiful pictures of her meal at The Makk.
- Vue Weekly published a good profile on Shovel and Fork last week.