Monday, October 28th, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Food Notes for October 28, 2013
Mack and I took in the last night of The National Elevator Project on Sunday, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Although I know a part of the reason had to do with the novelty of the elevator as a stage, it was also because most of the playwrights so deftly took advantage of the intimacy of the space, playing with conventions of distance and audience involvement. Though the run has now finished, look for Part 2 of the project during the Canoe Festival, January 23 – February 2, 2014. On to this week’s food notes:
- River City Round Up starts off this Friday with the annual Chili Cook-Off in Churchill Square on November 1, from 11:30-1:30pm. Grab your bowl of chili for just a buck or two! On Saturday, November 2, the Kick-Off Celebration will feature a pancake breakfast, a taste of the past and entertainment.
- I know some are already planning for Christmas, so – Quickfire Cookery is planning a Christmas Secret Bistro on November 29 and 30, 2013, with a six course dinner and wine pairings.
- Congratulations to Chef Paul Shufelt of the Century Hospitality Group for capturing first place at this year’s Gold Medal Plates! Silver went to Chef Doreen Prei of the Edmonton Petroleum Club and bronze to Chef Paul Campbell of Café de Ville.
- Liv posted about Sky High Burgers, a new joint in Sherwood Park.
- The Journal reviewed Café Bicyclette last week.
- The cooler weather got you down? A trip to Urban Shabu might warm you up – check out Cheryl’s recent visit.
- Plow & Harvest has closed less than two months after opening its doors. The website reads, “We appreciate your patronage and wish we could have continued to serve you and the Edmonton community.”
- Starbucks will be releasing their holiday drinks (in red cups, of course) on November 2, 2013.
- After a trip to West Edmonton Mall on the weekend, Mack and I stopped in at the new Italian Centre next door for lunch. Their margherita pizza ($11) hit the spot, the crispy thin crust holding up well. Worth making the trek to the west end!