Monday, November 4th, 2013 at 11:07 pm
Food Notes for November 4, 2013
Doesn’t it feel like we’re deep into winter now, even though the snow only fell this past weekend? All the more reason to indulge in hot drinks and make pots of soup, I say! On to this week’s food notes:
- It looks like North 53 has tentatively set their opening date as December 4, 2013!
- The Jack’s Grill space (5842 111 Street) is being renovated to become The Glass Monkey, a gastropub to be run by Darcy Radies, formerly of The Blue Pear.
- Look for Century Hospitality Group to open Hart’s Table & Bar in the new year, replacing the Ric’s Grill in Terwillegar (14229 23 Ave).
- Unfortunately, another local restaurant has shuttered: Bistro Saisons has now closed. Cheryl wrote a post honouring the restaurant, and encouraging diners to patronize small businesses.
- Speaking of closures, Omar dug deeper into the curiously fast failure of Plow & Harvest, and uncovered that the restaurant was perhaps a purposeful flop.
- Liv reviewed Jack’s Burger Shack in St. Albert.
- I was wondering when Edmonton would get another upscale olive oil and vinegar store, given Calgary has several: Oliv Tasting Room (Calgary has three locations) is opening up in Crestwood at 9656 142 Street.
- Congratulations to Chefs Nathin Bye and Blair Lebsack on making this year’s list of Aveue Edmonton’s Top 40 Under 40!
- Avenue Edmonton has a story this month about how local restaurants deal with serving celebrity guests.
- I love recipes that seemingly repurpose single-use appliances: 12 things you can make using a waffle iron. I need to try those hash browns.
- Great article from the NYT about broccoli’s extreme makeover.
- Churchill Square was packed with crowds taking in River City Round Up on Saturday. It was a great event, with a food truck corral, lots of children’s activities, and entertainment.
River City Round Up