Monday, February 24th, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Food Notes for February 24, 2014
Hi everyone, Mack here. Sharon is feeling a little under the weather still, so I’m guest blogging food notes this week!
- The next edition of Green Drinks Edmonton is focused on local food and will feature a great lineup of local experts. Get your tickets for the event which takes place on March 5 at Yellowhead Brewery.
- Chad Moss is the new president of Slow Food Edmonton. The organization currently has about 80 members.
- Allan Kellogg reviewed North 53 in the Journal last week. Sounds like he enjoyed it, but rightly questions how repeat business is going to work with the pricey dishes.
- NAIT’s current Chef in Residence is Lynn Crawford, and she’ll be preparing a three-course luncheon taking place at Ernest’s on March 13. Karlynn is giving away tickets to join her at the event! So is Linda!
- Looks like Graham liked his dinner for two at The Glass Monkey. I’m intrigued by his comment that it’s "designed for conversation" with no need to yell to be heard.
- Though annoyingly there’s no playlist or tag or anything, OptikLocal has a pretty impressive collection of videos up on YouTube as part of a series called EATS Edmonton. Each video is 3-4 minutes long, and you’ll find features on local tastes, plates, places, and creations.
- Linda reviewed Square One Wye Road, a new restaurant in Sherwood Park. Sounds like the service was good but the food was lacking.
- The 2014 Culinary Arts Cook Off is taking place on March 15 at Mount Royal Elementary Campus. The five judges they announced on Friday are an impressive group!
- Little Miss Andrea visited Lan’s Asian Grill recently, and called it "a hidden gem in our city." Nice writeup!
- This week’s Gastropost mission is Beautiful Beef. And if you don’t love Alberta beef, you can share your favorite vegetarian beef alternatives.
- Speaking of beef, are you following along with Phil’s quest to find the best burger in Edmonton? He’s currently 12 burgers into the odyssey.
- I made carrot, spinach and rice stew for dinner tonight. Predictably, mine didn’t turn out as good as when Sharon makes it (she originally blogged about it back in 2010). I guess it tasted okay, but it turned a weird purple thanks to the purple carrots I decided to use!
- Sharon recently tried the pho at Delicious PHO’ in West Edmonton Mall. She said she found it a bit salty for her tastes. They recently opened a location on 124 Street where The Makk used to be located, and their website says another location is coming soon to Baseline Road in Sherwood Park.
- Sharon and I went to the second HWKRS MRKT on Saturday night at Vacancy Hall in the basement of the Mercer Warehouse (the next one has already been scheduled for April 12). She’ll write more about that later, but I wanted to highlight the chicken and waffles from Parts & Service, a new food truck slated to open this spring. The verdict? Winner winner chicken dinner!
- Oh how the tables have turned. You’re used to seeing lots of photos of me on this blog, but now I get to post one of Sharon! I snapped this photo at Tavern 1903 a few weeks ago. Her review is forthcoming so stay tuned!