Monday, May 30th, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Food Notes for May 30, 2016
Though I’m sad the Raptors couldn’t advance to the Finals, it was a pretty great run. Looking forward to next season, and hoping they can keep DeRozan! On to this week’s food notes:
- There will be a ton of things to check out on June 4, 2016, with it being Make Something Edmonton’s 100in1day Project, but one of the events I’m looking forward to is the Meet me in McCauley Market, from 10am-4pm on Church Street (96 Street from 107A Avenue to 108 Avenue). There will be workshops on urban agriculture and food security, vendors, and other programming.
- On June 6, 2016, Three Boars will be featuring a collaboration dinner with “a menu juxtaposting sad bastard bachelor foods and high end restaurant ingredients. Foie, instant ramen, donair, caviar…you get the point.” Reservations recommended.
- The 18th annual Zoo Fest, in support of the Valley Zoo, takes place on June 18, 2016. They’ll have wine and samles from New Asian Village, Sage and The Melting Pot.
- Kitchen by Brad (10130 105 Street) is hosting “Meatball Madness” every Friday from 11:30am-1pm, where you can pick up a quick bite to eat.
- Uccellino, completing Chef Daniel Costa’s trifecta of restaurants, is now open at 10349 Jasper Avenue, from Wedesdays to Sundays, 5-11pm. Half of the seats are unreserved.
- Cafe Linnea, Duchess Bakery’s forthcoming breakfast restaurant, will be opening this summer!
- Diane linked to a new noodle restaurant in Chinatown called Fuqing Lanzhou Noodle located at 10824 97 Street.
- Avenue has the details about the newest board game cafe in Edmonton, The Gamers Lodge, which features food items named after pop culture references.
- Jonny checked out Nudoru, and contributed another so-so review.
- Uber Eats finally launched in Edmonton last week, offering another option for food delivery service in Edmonton. We rarely have food delivered, but I’m looking forward to trying it. I had nothing but positive experience with Uber, so I’m certain that will carry forward with Uber Eats.
- Liane’s latest market vendor profile focuses on Caramia Caramels, who sells at the City Market.
- CBC’s This is That spoofs high-end chef programs by providing pub fare with the same treatment: “Food doesn’t have to be interesting, it just has to be edible.”
- The Edmonton Food Council is recruiting new members to start September 2016. The application deadline is June 20, 2016.
- The first What the Truck?! of the season took place this weekend at the Expo Centre, gathering nearly 40 trucks together each day. I tried some new dishes, including a savoury pizza crepe from Divine Crepes, Alberta Fried Karaage from Northlands Truck 1879 and the sweet chicken curry from Pink Taffeta. All in all, it was a great kick-off to the summer! The next event takes place on June 18, 2016 at Blatchford Field.
Pizza crepe from Divine Crepes was all right, but I should have selected a dessert crepe instead
The Alberta Fried Karaage was hot and crispy, but was missing something
The sweet curry chicken from Pink Taffeta was enjoyable enough, with a nice cashew garnish