Monday, January 30th, 2017 at 9:59 pm
Food Notes for January 30, 2017
Happy Lunar New Year to those of you who celebrate! I had a lovely weekend full of family festivities – though it’s hard to believe the first month of the year has already passed us by. On to this week’s food notes:
- La Mision is back with its first pop-up of 2017 at The Chvrch of John on January 31, 2017 from 5-7pm.
- The next event in the Dining with Friends series will be a Buddhist feast hosted at Padmanadi on February 9, 2017. The family-style meal will include nine dishes for $43 per ticket.
- Mark your calendars: the 14th annual Downtown Dining Week will take place March 10-19, 2017. Menus will be up by February 15, 2017.
- Avenue Edmonton is getting ready to celebrate their annual “best restaurants” issue – tickets for the launch on March 13, 2017 are now on sale for $44 each.
- Thanks to Jenn for the heads up – Tokiwa Ramen is coming to the Brewery District this spring at 11978 104 Avenue.
- Avila Arepa, an “urban Venezuelan kitchen,” is also forthcoming in Old Strathcona – 10760 82 Avenue.
- Blink and you’d walk right by it – Bundok in Fox One is now open at 10218 104 Street.
- Just down the street – Baijiu, the new Asian-inspired cocktail bar (and sister restaurant to North 53) opens on February 1, 2017.
- The folks behind El Cortez are expanding their Old Strathcona empire to include a third restaurant inside the same historic building this summer.
- Chef Nathin Bye has put his stamp on the menu at the restaurant inside Crash Hotel (the former Grand Hotel).
- Cindy is among the first to review new Old Strathcona restaurant Pho Boy, and its somewhat modern take on Vietnamese cuisine.
- The Journal enjoyed brunch at the Riverside Golf Course, as prepared by Dogwood Cafe (who also runs the brunch program at the Victoria Golf Course).
- Twyla shares her experience at a recent Scandanavian-inspired pop-up at Clementine, called Kos.
- Congratulations to Chef Levi Biddlecombe, who will be at the helm of Packrat Louie.
- Why did Chef Andrew Cowan of Northern Chicken gravitate towards fried chicken? It’s all about family.
- Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Jacek’s spring collection (romantically named the Galaxy Collection) is now available.
- It’s never too early to start thinking about the summer – shares of Riverbend Garden’s community supported agriculture are now on sale!
- Ian from Winding Road Cheese reflects on his first year in business.
- Megan checked out the “Meet Your Farmers” event hosted by SPUD Edmonton over the weekend.
- Sleep in all you want: all-day breakfast at McDonald’s rolls out in Canada on February 21, 2017, followed quickly by A & W on February 27.
- We’ve been hankering for brunch at Meat for weeks, so we were happy to finally indulge over the weekend.
Breakfast sandwich and beef brisket benny from Meat