Monday, August 26th, 2013 at 11:07 pm
Food Notes for August 26, 2013
This has probably been the worst August on record for this blog – my apologies for the lack of posting – but after foolishly committing myself to running events three Saturdays in a row, I had to prioritize! The last of this month’s festivities takes place on August 31, and I hope to write a bit more about it tomorrow. In the meantime, on to this week’s food notes:
- State & Main, the newest Calgary-based pub/restaurant franchise to hit Edmonton, opens its first location in our city at Southgate Centre on September 1, 2013.
- Liane has a few more details about North 53, a forthcoming locally-themed restaurant in the 124 Street area. When it opens, it will inevitably draw comparisons to its similarly- named Toronto establishment, Mark McEwan’s North 44.
- Vue wrote a nice profile on one of our newest neighbours, The Cavern.
- I realize I don’t have an accompanying photo, but over the weekend at the Fringe, we were quite disappointed with the food options. So much so that we ended up at Zaika two days in a row, as nothing else really appealed to us. It was a little surprising that there was not a single non-special event food truck at the event, given they’ve been popping up at so many of the city’s festivals.
- While strolling through the neighbourhood, we encountered Budding Rose Teas (10728 82 Avenue), a two-month old tea shop on Whyte. They sell loose teas, but also offer edibles, including vegan, soy-free and gluten-reduced options.
Budding Rose Teas
- It looks like Calgary’s Choklat (Alberta’s only bean-to-bar maker) will be opening up an Edmonton location on Whyte on September 7, 2013 at 8111 Calgary Trail. We checked out the Inglewood shop in Calgary several years back.
- Another meeting over food, this time at De Dutch over the weekend.